Idaho Public Utilities Commission

Case No. IPC-E-08-22, Order No. 30719

February 2, 2009

Contact: Gene Fadness (208) 334-0339, 890-2712


PUC taking comments through March 20 on rule changes


Idaho Power Company is asking state regulators to allow it to charge builders and developers more for new service attachments and distribution line installations and to reduce or eliminate refunds the builders get as new developments hook-on to the expanded facilities.


The Idaho Public Utilities Commission is taking comments on Idaho Power’s application through March 20.


The company claims the proposed modifications to those charges, called the Rule H Tariff, would better meet a goal of the commission and the company to require growth to pay for itself by shifting installation costs from the general body of ratepayers to new customers requesting construction for the services.


Several parties have already intervened in the case including the Building and Contractors Association of Southwestern Idaho, the City of Nampa, the Kroger Company and the Association of Canyon County Highway Districts.


Idaho Power is also asking that it be allowed to add a section to the tariff that more clearly spells out who pays when the company has to relocate distribution facilities on public right-of-way due to roadway expansion. Currently, Idaho Power pays for the relocation when it is being required by a governmental agency such as the state Department of Transportation or county or city highway departments. When a third party requests relocation of distribution facilities, the third party must bear the cost. Idaho Power claims there have been recent instances where public road agencies have requested relocation on behalf of third-party developers. Idaho Power wants public road agencies to more clearly demonstrate that the relocation is for the public benefit and not for the benefit of a third party.


Idaho Power’s application, as well as testimony provided by company officials and intervenors, can be accessed on the commission’s Web site at Click on the electric icon, then on “Open Electric Cases,” and scroll down to Case No. IPC-E-08-22.


The commission has determined this case can be handled by a modified procedure using written comments rather than conducting hearings. However, if comments can demonstrate a need for a hearing, a hearing may be held. Comments are accepted via e-mail by accessing the commission’s homepage and clicking on "Comments & Questions." Fill in the above case number and enter your comments. Comments can also be mailed to P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0074 or faxed to (208) 334-3762.