Case No. CAP-W-06-01, Order No. 30124

Notice of Public Workshop

September 8, 2006

Contact: Gene Fadness (208) 334-0339




Commission sets workshop in Capitol Water case


Staff from the Idaho Public Utilities Commission will be conducting a public workshop on Monday, Sept. 25, regarding a request by Capitol Water Corp. of Boise to increase its rates by 27.8 percent.


Capitol Water Corp., which serves about 2,875 households in the west bench area, says the increase is necessary to implement capital improvements such as well and customer service line replacements. Capitol sought an effective date of Aug. 1 for the increased rate, but the commission suspended the effective date for up to six months.


If approved, the rate hike would increase Capitol’s annual revenues by about $132,500. The company proposes to extend the summer billing period by one month to include April, which would raise $27,000. (The current summer billing period is May through September.) The remaining $105,500 would be raised by a 22.21 percent increase to the company’s base rates.


The company last had a rate case in 1995. Since then, the commission has approved two surcharges to meet capital improvements. The company claims two wells show continuing production declines. Further, the Ada County Highway District’s plan to widen Ustick Road will require Capitol Water to replace a number of customer service lines, according to the company’s application.


The workshop will begin at 7 p.m. in the commission’s hearing room at 472 W. Washington St. Customers and other interested parties may also submit written comments by no later than Oct. 12. The company then has until Oct. 26 to file reply comments. Comments are accepted via e-mail by accessing the commission’s homepage at and clicking on "Comments & Questions." Fill in the case number (CAP-W-06-01) and enter your comments. Comments can also be mailed to P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0074 or faxed to (208) 334-3762.


A full text of the commission’s order, along with other documents related to this case, are available on the commission’s Web site. Click on “File Room” and then on “Water Cases” and scroll down to the above case number.