Idaho Public Utilities Commission

Case No. UWI-W-W-11-01, Order No. 32175

February 10, 2011

Contact: Gene Fadness (208) 334-0339, 890-2712



United Water, City of Eagle propose expanded agreement


United Water Idaho is asking the Idaho Public Utilities Commission to approve a proposed expanded interconnection agreement between United Water Idaho and the City of Eagle’s water system that would allow the utilities to supply water to each other during emergency situations.


The two water systems have been interconnected by a pressure regulating valve owned by the City of Eagle that, under a 1997 agreement, allows water supply to be made available to the city’s system under certain circumstances.


The proposed agreement would allow United Water to modify the existing interconnection to enable a two-way flow between the two systems during those times when excess water supply may be needed for fire suppression or in the event of a pump outage, pipeline burst or other system issues.


The maximum instantaneous supply that United Water would supply to the City of Eagle is 1,500 gallons per minute and the maximum daily supply is 1.44 million gallons per day. The City of Eagle would be able to provide 825 gallons per minute and up to 1.1 million gallons per day.


The cost to modify the system to allow the two-way flow is $19,995. Under the proposed agreement, United Water would pay $14,496 and the City of Eagle, $5,499.


The commission plans to handle this request in a modified procedure that uses written comments rather than conducting a hearing, unless customer comments can demonstrate a need for a public hearing. Comments are accepted via e-mail through March 1 by accessing the commission’s homepage at and clicking on "Comments & Questions About a Case." Fill in the case number (UWI-W-11-01) and enter your comments. Comments can also be mailed to P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0074 or faxed to (208) 334-3762.


A full text of the commission’s order, along with other documents related to this case, is available on the commission’s Web site at Click on “File Room” and then on “Water Cases” and scroll down to the above case number.